FIFA transfer ban for East Bengal and Kerala Blasters for non-payment of dues to former recruits – The New Indian Express
KOLKATA: World football’s governing body FIFA has banned Indian Super League clubs East Bengal and Kerala Blasters from signing new players in the transfer window due to non-payment of dues to former recruits.
The Indian football transfer window starts from Wednesday.
The FIFA ban, which was drafted on June 1 and forwarded by the Indian Football Association (AIFF) on Monday, follows East Bengal and KBFC failing to meet “financial obligations” for their former players Johnny Acosta and Matej Poplatnik.
Already grappling with the issue of the final deal with their current investors Shree Cement, the new development is another blow to East Bengal’s readiness for ISL as they will have to meet the obligation to lift the ban.
Senior East Bengal official Debabrata Sarkar said he had received the letter and was taking “immediate action”.
“Shree Cement communicated this by letter. It is true. We are taking immediate action,” Sarkar said, reacting to the transfer ban.
Blaming their former investor Quess Corporation for this, Sarkar said: “This is a consequence of the unilateral termination by Quess Corp Ltd. We now have to pay the price for their wrongdoing. We are very worried about the future of the club. “
Costa Rican World Cup Acosta, who played a key role in second-place East Bengal in the 2018-19 I-League, had complained against the club to FIFA.
Acosta, who played two seasons for East Bengal, found himself stranded in Calcutta after the lockdown imposed by the coronavirus last year.
There was worse in store as Quess had applied the force majeure clause ending the players’ contracts before their association with East Bengal ended.
Acosta, who finally left Calcutta in June last year, criticized the club for being “apathetic about his situation”.
“I am closing a cycle of my life, this time a little different. At a big institution that I have a lot of love and respect for, Quess East Bengal FC, but in the end there were problems contract and salary that did not comply, in addition to little help for my return to Costa Rica where the club was unwilling and indifferent to my situation, “he posted.
East Bengal and Quess Corp had a three-year bond, but the Bengaluru-based investor withdrew on May 31 last year after a two-year association.
The management of the East Bengal club once again found themselves at an impasse with their new investor, Shree Cement, over the signing of the final deal.
The club initially signed a tenure sheet after Shree Cement’s arrival following the intervention of West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, which opened the team’s last-minute foray into the ISL before the 2020-21 season.
But before the next edition of the league, the club refused to sign the binding final agreement, saying there were “differences” in the two documents, which Shree Cement flatly denied.
The executive committee has threatened to resign en masse if forced to sign the final deal in preparation for the coming season.
In such a scenario, there is again a cloud of uncertainty about East Bengal’s participation in ISL, as the majority of their footballers are free players, while Shree Cement has made it clear that they will not spend. a dime until the agreement is signed.
Currently, the players who have contracts with East Bengal are Mohammed Rafique, Mohammed Rafique Ali Sardar, Wahengbam Angousana, Balwant Singh, Loken Meitei, Bikash Jairu, Anil Chawan, Girik Khosla, Novin Gurung and Pritam Singh.
As for the Kochi-based club, FIFA has followed up on a complaint about the unpaid salary of former player Poplatnik.
Players can contact FIFA if they are not paid on time.